Saturday, November 2, 2013

Salomon XT Hornet 1 vs Salomon XT Wings 3

This is the second time I will be reviewing some gears. As stated in my previous review this reflects only my experience about the product. I was not paid to review nor given free stuff, I bought this with my own money (although I would not mind being sponsored "wink"). So here goes..

I will be reviewing and comparing the Salomon XT Hornet 1 and Salomon XT Wings 3.

Watch the review of Salomon UK for the Salomon XT Hornet 1




and the review for the Salomon XT Wings 3




As stated by Mr. laid back reviewer, these shoes comes from the "XT" Family range of shoes. These are made specifically for "Trail Running". Although I would not limit using them exclusively on trails.

First up, the Salomon XT Hornet 1.

Salomon XT Hornet 1

In the Salomon website, you can see the full specifications of the shoe.  I took the liberty to show some of them here.

Specs:

Weight: 11 oz
Heel to Toe Drop: 10.5mm
Technologies:

Sensifit - Sensifit system works to cradle the foot providing a precise and secure fit.
Quicklace - Minimalistic and strong lace for one-pull tightening. Easy-on, easy-off.
Non Marking Contagrip - Delivering optimal traction on varied surfaces, Salomon's Contagrip® outsoles use the ideal combination of specialized rubbers for each specific use.
Ortholite - OrthoLite® sockliner combines a specific Ortholite® foam and an EVA heel cup. Ortholite® foam creates a cooler, drier, healthier, better cushioned environment under the foot. It will not break down or lose effectiveness over time. Recycled tire content to protect the environment. EVA heel cups allows for a better heel support and added cushioning.
Agile Chassis System

Now for some "hands on" or I should say "feet on" experience.

I have already used these shoes both for hiking and trail running, more specifically, the recently held CM42 Trail Marathon.

CM42 Trail Marathon
The CM42 trail pretty much has all the terrain imaginable.  It has ash, stones, loose rocks, mud, water etc.  The shoe pretty much held up to the task.  I did not slip or fall because of the shoes.  (I did fall once because I did not set my balance properly while crossing a "log bridge").  It is designed to have great grip on the trails. I can even step on a stone at a steep angle and the shoe will still have plenty of grip.  Mud also doesn't stick to the bottom of the shoe unlike my previous trail shoes which can be a literal drag.

The shoe also hugs my feet perfectly well, I'm a size 11 by the way.  I have pretty big feet, but  the shoe gives enough room for me to splay my toes around.

Overall, I can say that I would be giving these shoes a score of 4 out of 5 (It would be 5 out of 5 if it were of the price tag for these shoes)

Now for the XT Wings 3.



Again I took the liberty of showing some specs and technologies of the shoe from the Salomon website.

Specs:

Weight: 12.3 oz
Heel to Toe Drop: 10.5mm
Technologies:

Sensifit - Sensifit system works to cradle the foot providing a precise and secure fit.
Quicklace - Minimalistic and strong lace for one-pull tightening. Easy-on, easy-off.
Non Marking Contagrip - Delivering optimal traction on varied surfaces, Salomon's Contagrip® outsoles use the ideal combination of specialized rubbers for each specific use.
Ortholite - OrthoLite® sockliner combines a specific Ortholite® foam and an EVA heel cup. Ortholite® foam creates a cooler, drier, healthier, better cushioned environment under the foot. It will not break down or lose effectiveness over time. Recycled tire content to protect the environment. EVA heel cups allows for a better heel support and added cushioning.
Agile Chassis System

I can say that I have more mileage with these shoes than the XT Hornet's.  I have used them for hiking and trail running.  Specifically the Pinatubo 50k Ultra Trail Challenge.

Pinatubo 50k Ultra Trail Challenge
I have also used them in the CM42 route during a training session.  As I have said, the route have pretty much all the terrain imaginable.  And like the XT Hornet 1, it held up great during the run. (This time I did not slip on the "log bridge").  Whatever I did with the XT Hornet, I also did with the XT Wings.  The shoes were practically identical in performance and fit.

Overall, I can say that I would be giving these shoes a score of 4 out of 5 (Again, it would be 5 out of 5 if it were of the price tag for these shoes)

Now the comparison.

As I have said, these shoes are pretty much identical.  Here are some photos of my shoes.  (Yes they are a bit dirty because they are trail shoes)

Front View
Side View XT Hornet 1
Side View XT Wings 3
Back View
Soles/Lugs: XT Hornet 1 at the Left XT Wings 3 on the Right
As seen they are pretty much identical.  From the Upper of the shoe, down to the design of the lugs/soles.  They come from the same "XT" Family of Salomon shoes.  And they both come in glorious red and black color combination.

I can discern three differences between these shoes.

First, both of the shoes has the Agile Chassis System at the bottom. But as seen in the side views, the ACS in the XT Wings 3 goes from the heel up to the toe of the shoe whereas the ACS of the XT Hornet 1 only goes from the heel to the mid of the shoe.  This gives the XT Wings 3 a bit more stability control.

The additional material will mean that it will be heavier, hence the 2nd difference of the shoes.  The XT Wings 3 weighs 1.3 oz more than the XT Hornet.  You might say, "Hey, 1.3 oz difference is not that much."  but during an ultra trail run and you are really tired, any additional weight may be a burden.  The XT Hornet 1 get higher points than the XT Wings 3 for this.

 Lastly, the material of the upper.

Upper Material: XT Hornet 1 at the left XT Wings 3 on the right
The XT Wings 3 has a finer mesh material than the XT Hornet 1 giving it a bit more repellency.  This will work well in a bit damp conditions and a light rain because it will keep the water out of the inside of the shoe.  But this will not matter if you will be going through river crossings.

One things I do not like about these shoes or any Salomon shoes are the Ortholite insoles.  Yes they are soft and provides cushion but the tend to fold inside.  I have to take off my shoe and align the insoles from time to time.  

Salomon Ortholite Insoles
I replace the insoles with the insoles from my Brook shoes so I won't be bothered by the folding of insoles.

Also, the new logo doesn't look as good as the old logo.

Logo: XT Hornet 1 at the left XT Wings 3 on the right
The old logo just looks better, and the new one almost looks like the logo of another brand.  But hey, those are my thoughts.

Finally, if asked what shoe would I recommend, I would have to say whatever fancies you.  They performed great during wet or dry conditions.  They are pretty identical in every aspect.

I think it will all boil down to the price. If you are conscious about your budget, you may go with the XT Hornet 1, the shoe retails at Php 5,990.  A good price for a great shoe.  But if you have more money at your disposal, you might as well go with the XT Wings 3.  They retail at Php 7,990.

I got my XT Wings 3 at a sale price of Php 5,670 which makes it cheaper than the XT Hornet 1 which also makes my argument invalid.  So what the hell, go with the shoe that you want.

But if you really don't have problem with your budget, and money is nothing to you.  I would definitely recommend the Salomon XT S-Lab 5.

Salomon XT S-Lab 5

I have yet to use these because I don't own a pair.  These baby goes at a Php 8,490.  The price is just to steep for me.

So there you go, a comparison of the XT Hornet 1 and XT Wings 3.  If you have any questions feel free to comment.


photo credits to photo ops and Mr. Ian Mabilangan

3 comments:

  1. Hello Alan.

    I´m trail runner too and i would like you advice for salomon shoes.
    I have 44 years old and i only want to enjoy all the races but my big issue is what kind of shoes to use?
    I use the adidas kanadia 5 and i want to get another shoes and i want to buy a salomon.
    Any advice to face the races, climb, and enjoy...?

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought XT Hornet 1 at R.O.X. yesterday for a sale price of Php4,170. The last pair I have was the XR Crossmax. I have fitted this side by side with the XT Wings. The latter is a little bit more comfortable but the sale price was the deciding factor. Will use it more on training. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome article a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing this useful data. I will visit your web journal consistently for some most recent post.
    leather shoes

    ReplyDelete