Friday, September 27, 2013

CM42 Trail Marathon Race Review

Confidence comes from discipline and training. - Robert Kiyosaki

If you have known me for a while, then you may have known one thing about me.

I'M AWFUL AT TRAIL RUNS!!!

Fortunately, I am able to finish all of my previous trail runs, but the finish times were not to my liking.  I always lose my enthusiasm in the middle of the race.  Probably, it was because I was burned out.

To improve myself I trained harder and better.  Focusing on altitude gain and loss rather than long runs.

Unfortunately, I suffered a minor injury on my left hamstring two weeks ago.  Which was bad because I had an upcoming run, the PAU Nationals 50k Ultramarathon held at Guimaras.  This was my last training run for CM42.  Good thing the route had good altitude gain and loss, so I did not stray away from my training.

So came the day of CM42, with my hamstring still aching, I pushed through running the event.  little did I know my injury would be a blessing in disguise.

There we were, Goldy, Elvin, Dennis and I would be running 42km while Joy and Jonard would be running 22km.
Elvin was the cameraman
It was a bit rainy that the Race Director, Atty. Jonnifer Lacanlale, decided to move the gunstart from 4:30am to 5:30am.  Which was good because we would have the need to use headlamps.

3,2,1.... the run started... said a short silent prayer which I normally do, then off I went.

I started at an easy pace.  Minding my aching hamstring.  I tried to subside the pain by taking a tablet of mefenamic acid before the run.
Elevation Profile

The route was an out and back run, which meant we would be running the same way on the way back.

Just to summarize the route it was more of a mountain run.  The highest point would be the peak at about 1150+ masl. The route was wet because of the rain, most of the trail were slippery but thanks to my shoes and some balance, I only slipped once.  The route was muddy, rocky and some parts were sandy especially near the peak.

Due to the weather, there were only good views.  Though I also did not bring any camera. Elvin ran a "picture pace" and also brought a camera.  But even he did not see any good views.
The majestic Miyamit Falls
To tell the truth, I was waiting for the moment that I would burn out or lose interest in the run.  Fortunately, that moment didn't come.  Also for me this was the best trail run I ever did.  Probably because I held back at the start of the run due to my aching hamstring.

I paced the whole run with Dennis, but as we were making the last turn, we decided to have fun and sprint to the finish line.  We were joined by another friend (Ronnel Go, the birthday boy) during the sprint.  The three of us finished with identical times.

Sprint to the finish
I finished the run at a good 7hrs 44minutes.  This, as I have said, is by far the best trail run, performance-wise that I did.

Now I focus my eyes on the next big run.  The Clark to Miyamit 50mile run.  I know to have a repeat or improve my performace.  I would have to train harder and have a good race strategy.

The finisher's medal


credit photos to Elvin and Photo-ops

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Sir Allan. I've only run one trail marathon (San Jose, CA. area) and thought it was a blast. One doesn't feel quite as tired on the trails as the roads. Continued success. Also, thanks for adding me on Twitter. - Wayne

    ReplyDelete