Saturday, April 26, 2014

25th Yakult 10 Miler Race Review, 1 out of 5 Revenge Runs

Since it’s my third year in running, I decided to improve myself.  I started trimming down “unwanted” fats and training better.  I’ve also decided to pick 5 races that I ran poorly or I felt I could have ran a bit better.  So the next five blogs will be about these 5 races.

First things first, this is my review of the recently held Yakult 10-miler.

Last March 23, the 25th Yakult 10-miler was held.  Goldy and I were the only ones running the event among the team.  There was a bit of a problem because Goldy was the only one who had a kit.  Our plan was I was going to us her race kit and that she would just run at the CCP grounds.

I ran the 23rd Yakult 10-miler last 2012.  Although I finished at 1:26, I felt that I could have gone faster.  This was the first test of myself.

The morning of the event came, we arrived an hour and a half before the gunstart because Goldy would have to get her race kit first.  Then, the announcer said some reminders and told that there are still 16k race kits available.  Without hesitation, we went to the registration tent and bought one for me so that Goldy and I can run.

3,2,1.... the run started... said a short silent prayer which I normally do, then off I went.
Being a 10 miler or a 16 km run, I decided to run a bit faster than I usually do.  I tried to run at a sub 5 pace to beat my personal best.

Unlike trail runs, road runs tend to have less elevation gain and loss, which I was glad about.  I was able to run the first 10km at a good 48mins.  This made me a bit satisfied because it has been a long time since I have ran 10k under 50mins. And the fact that this was a 16km run.

After the 10th km, I tried to maintain a 4:45 pace.  But I struggled a bit because there were no ionized sports drinks available which I was accustomed to and I knew that they only served water.

Making a U-turn at Luneta Park, I tried to increase my pace gradually.  There was more than 3k left so I decided to go for it.

:P
Finally at a time of 1:15 with some seconds, I crossed the finish line.  I was happy because my speed was somehow back.  Goldy also finished at 1:30 which was also a PR for her.


So I was successful in my revenge of the Yakult 10-miler, this is only the beginning.  I hope I can sustain this up until the last revenge run.

No comments:

Post a Comment