Tuesday, March 19, 2013

5th Bataan Death March 102K Ultra Marathon Race Review

In general, any form of exercise, if pursued continuously, will help train us in perseverance. Long-distance running is particularly good training in perseverance. - Mao Zedong



And so the day came, March 2, 2013.  I had a date with the road from Mariveles, Bataan leading up to San Fernando, Pampanga. The whole team except for Rhea was present (she had work).  Every body started arriving at our meeting place (Jollibee Farmers), Sir Tony, Elvin, Sir Ted, Goldy, Jonard, Joy, Roxanne, Dennis, JC, Tope, Rose, Joyce, Ralph, Chona and last and late as usual, Daniel arrived (we picked up Riz in San Fernando).  So it was set, the team headed to Mariveles. 


We and arrived around 8pm, with plenty of time to eat and change clothes since the run starts at 10pm. I ate pasta and drank coffee float to calm my nerves and for additional fuel.  That single Jollibee in Mariveles was crowded with runners and supporters. 


While at Jollibee
After eating, we headed back to where we were parked, geared up for the run posed for some photo ops, said a prayer then Elvin, Tope and I proceeded to the starting area while the support vehicles headed for the 7th km. 

Gameface On???
Team Rock and Road BDM 102 2013 Runners
The starting area was a small park dedicated to the prisoners who were forced to marched. Upon arriving at the starting area, everybody was buzzed in anticipation.  Photo ops here and there, I even saw Sir Larry Daliwag (the Ultrarunner I met at Shotgun Road who unknowingly enlightened me), just to release some of the tension.  Then the clock turned 10 pm, Sir Jovie said some reminders and encouragements then counted us off.

3,2,1.... the run started... said a short silent prayer which I normally do, then off I went.


Km 0 - 2 (Warming Up)


The first 2 km of the route was flat, which was great because i could do my warm up.  I tried to keep a 6 min/km in this part not minding the faster runners that passed by me.  The route was still pretty bright because we were still at Mariveles City so I turned off my headlight to save up on batteries.


Km 3 - 7 (The Uphill)

This was the dreaded uphill part of the route, It was more of a c6 route (Timberland) only, it was longer.  As a newbie would do, I ran-walked the length of the uphill route.  I was feeling strong at this part maintaining a good pace so I decided to run-walk.  I maintained a 4:1 run interval.  At the 7th km, our support team was waiting.


Km 8 - 10 (Minor Mishaps and the Case of the Missing Salt)

Upon arrival at the first support station, the support team were all out cheering. Which was good to boost our morale but being it was still early, they were still unprepared.  I had to cross the street to refill my hydration.  A team mate even debated with me that I should be the one crossing the street, which was a clear violation.  After getting my bottles, I went on my way.  I continued with my planned pace.  By the time I reached the 9th km, the support vehicle haven't passed me yet so I called them to check where they were.  


Call Me Maybe
They came a little passed the 10th km.  But still they were unprepared, by this time, with the adrenaline rush I had, I  got a bit angry.  I crossed the street again, looking for my hydration and salt.  But this time, there was a bit of problem, at the time I crossed the street, Madam was passing by.  As expected she gave an earful to us.  I crossed the street still waiting for some salt.  By the time Madam left, I called once for salt, nothing, I called the second time, still nothing, then third, fourth, fifth each call getting louder and louder.  Finally at the sixth time, I could not control myself anymore, I yelled and cursed for salt.  This time they heard me, after getting some salt, I continued on my way.

Km 11 - 15 (Sorry guys :(...)

After leaving the 2nd support station, I immediately thought of what I did.  Yes, it was in fact unnecessary, but I could not control myself with the adrenaline rush I had at the time.  So immediately at the next support station, I would say apologize to my team mates and specifically my personal support personnel.

Km 16 - 25 (Kuya Pahinga ka Muna!!!!)

This part of the route would pass through numerous bars and night clubs.  As expected there were many ladies saying "Kuya pahinga ka muna" or "Kuya inom ka muna"  I tied to run pass them even if it was already my walk break.  There were also drunk men walking along the streets.

Km 26 - 30 (First Wardrobe Change)

This part of the route was mostly rolling.  I was still keeping a relatively fast pace, so even though it was already midnight, it felt hot. I informed the team to prepare my clothes so that I could change.  At the 30th km, much to my surprise, my support team was there without the support van.  I asked them where the van was, and they told me that the van was already going back and forth to support Elvin and me.  I changed clothes and continued on my way.

Km 31 - 35 (Self realization)

After leaving my support team at the area, I started thinking.

"What if something happened to them, they were only 5 of them at the area"

"Should I continue running at this pace"

"Shall I continue to try to get a gold medal"

I decided after much thought.  I scrapped my plans for a gold medal so I could conserve more energy and so that  the support team would have an easier time supporting us.  It would be beneficial for the runners and support.  I deliberately ran slower than my planned pace.

Km 36 - 40 (ZZZZzzzzzzz)

The run started at 10pm, and  being a morning person, I started to get a bit sleepy. There were times that I would close my eyes while I was still running or walking.  I started to think o what to eat or drink so get rid of the sleepiness  At the next pitstop, I would drink coffee and eat some chocolates.  But sadly, that didn't work, I was still a bit sleepy.

Km 41 - 45 (COKE!!!!)

Somewhere between km 40 - 45, I passed by Ms. Jacky's support vehicle.  They offered me some food but the thing that caught my eye was the cold coke bottle.  I asked for some and immediately after ingesting, the sleepiness went away.


With Ryan Moral and COKE!!!
At the next support station, I asked for some coke from the team.  It was no fluke, the coke woke me up.  I told my team that I would drink coke every support station from now on.

Km 46 - 50 (Halfway There!!)

At this point, I was getting a bit hungry, luckily, I was near the halfway mark.  At the halfway mark, I ate some rice, adobo and egg.  At this time, Elvin also caught up with me.  I also asked for our other teammate Tope who was also running.

Km 51 - 55 (Plantar Fasciitis and Second Wardrobe Change)

After leaving the halfway point, I started to feel pain in my feet.  Yes it was my old friend Plantar Fasciitis. So at the 55th km, I made a second wardrobe change complete with change of footwear. I also took in some Mefenamic Acid to help minimize the pain.

Km 56 - 60 (Stomach Cramps and a Walkathon)

Unfortunately, the medicine offered little or no help at all.  So to minimize the pain a bit more, I walked the whole 5 kms.  I was in no hurry, after all, the cut-off for the silver medal was 16 hrs, I have only ran a little over 8 hrs at this point.  Stomach cramps was also building up which made it a bit difficult to run, hence the walkathon.


Petiks petiks
Km 61 - 70 (Secondwind!!!!)

At the 60th km support station, I asked for some liniment to be applied on my legs.  I then thought of putting some on my abdomen.  It was only the second time I applied some liniment on myself during a race.  Surprisingly, seconds after leaving the support station, I began to feel energized.  Could this be my second wind, I tried to run, it felt good, the pain in my feet disappeared as well as the stomach cramps.  I ran at a faster pace I did at the start of the run and closed the gap between me and Elvin.  By the 70th km, the team told me that I was already in front of Elvin (He did a number 2, :D)

Km 71 - 90 (A Seesaw and the Tope Crisis)

Elvin and I would seesaw in the next kilometers.  Sometimes he would come first some times I would come first at a support station.  We were just going through the motions of the race.

But it was at this time we learned that one of us would not reach the cut-off time.  Tope did not reach 50 km in 9 hrs.  More importantly, he was missing, the other support team cannot find him.  We were beginning to get worried.  Fortunately, just about the 80th km, he was found by the other support team.  The way he was found is however a different story.


Running along
Eating some watermelons
Km 90 - 100

By the 90th km, the other support team also joined us, the cast was complete and was cheering on which gave us more strength to finish the run.  We were already eating and drinking whatever we wanted.  I was also finding some other to drink either than Red Gatorade and Elvin was also finding something to drink either than Pocari Sweat.  At the 100km, we would also make our final wardrobe change.

Good running form near the finish
Jump shot near the 100th km
Km 101 - Finish (102km)

After the wardrobe change, I ran off to the finish with Elvin just right behind me.

Finally, after 15 hrs 4 mins and 22 secs

I completed the BDM 102


102km finished
Photo with the Race Director Sir Jovie
After less than a minute, Elvin also finished

Team Rock and Road BDM 102 Finishers
Then the photo ops resumed!
Team Rock and Road
The A-Team
Wasak
With that I would like to thank the following:

God Almighty for giving me strength to finish.
My Parents without them, there wouldn't be a me, hehe
Sir Jovie Narcise for making such an event.
My Personal Support Team: Goldy, Riz, Joy, Jonard and JC for giving me what I needed during the run
The rest of Team Rock and Road: Daniel, Chona, Sir Ted, Dennis, Roxanne, Rose, Joyce, Sir Tony, Ralph and Rhea (Who was not present because of work) for supporting us and motivating us
Sir Jeff Lo of Pinoy Fitness and Ms. Mars Callo because if there was no Pinoy Fitness, there would be no Team Rock and Road
Sir Larry Daliwag for planting the seed of BDM in my mind
My adopted OK OK Family for the support during the run
Ms Jacky, Ryan Moral and the rest of their support for the support during the run
Philip and Jose for the nice pictures
Sir Radge Vocal for the ice cold coke at km 88
And to the other Support Crew who unselfishly gave us water and other needs


Finally, if asked given a chance would I do it again.  My answer would be a definite YES!
And if also asked if I would join next year's BDM 160, this is what i got to say...


The training has already started....

No comments:

Post a Comment